The next of our series of pitching machine reviews looks at the Zooka ZS740. It is a revolutionary machine that is truly first of its kind; first ever fully digital rechargeable pitching machine that earns 5 stars in portability and ease of use. No other pitching machine can be so easy to use than the Zooka ZS740 with its digital control panel for speed and height adjustments.
The Zooka ZS740 is a favorite among parents and coaches who want to throw reliable and consistent pitches to their kids for a more successful batting practice. Not only for batting practice, but this machine is also the ultimate training tool for infield and outfield drills.
Designed for ages between 4 and 18, this one is a must have for anyone who wants to take his baseball skills to the next level.
What's Included on this page:
Main features of the Zooka ZS740
- Throws real baseballs at over 65 mph
- Throws a variety of balls including dimpled balls, wiffle balls, baseballs, softballs and tennis balls
- Adjustable speed within a range of 10-65 mph using simple digital control panel
- Digital speed readout
- Battery powered; rechargeable battery good for 500 plus pitches
- Throws consistent pitches, fly balls and grounders; great for batting practice, infield and outfield drills
- An auto ball feeder available separately for solo games
The next sections of our Zooka ZS740 review are dedicated to providing more details on the features that make it an ideal training tool for young and older players alike.
Fully digital machine
Zooka ZS740 is the first ever fully digital pitching machine with a digital control panel that lets you control speed settings and even pre-program a practice sessions with multiple speeds and pitch locations. The digital control panel is extremely easy to use with simple up and down arrows for speed adjustments. Plus, it gives a digital speed readout as well.
No external moving parts
Unlike those pitching machines that include dangerous spinning wheels, the Zooka ZS740 includes no external moving parts. It is powered by an air compression system that kick starts when the ball is dropped in. The compressed air propels the internal cup that throws the ball out of the barrel.
Panning tripod for easy height and location adjustments
The Zooka ZS740 comes with a tall panning tripod that has a full 360 degree pan and a 43 inch pitch release height. This makes the machine more versatile and great for infield and outfield drills. By adjusting the pitch release height, you can throw really high fly balls that will go straight 12 stories into the air. Not only that, but you can use the panning feature to scatter balls around the field for fielding practice. Hence, it makes it useful for older players as well.
The rechargeable battery makes the Zooka ZS740 a real portable machine. Just charge it at home and take it with you on the field. The battery is good for more than 500 pitches. It is the first of its kind pitching machine that can throw fastballs up to 65 mph on battery power. A separate battery pack can be purchased to extend battery life on the field.
Setting up the machine and tearing it down is literally a snap. It doesn’t require any special tools and can be set in as little as 2 minutes. The machine tears down in two parts very easily for easily portability. The machine weighs around 30 pounds, which makes it easy to carry around.
Throws a variety of balls
Unlike other pitching machines that can be used with plastic balls made for machine use, the Zooka ZS740 can throw any type of ball including regular baseballs, softballs, tennis balls and wiffle balls.
Throws a variety of pitches
The Zooka ZS740 can be easily adjusted for speed using the simple digital control panel. Speed can be adjusted within a range of 10-65 mph. Not only that, but you can also pre-program a practice with multiple speeds and pitch locations. This is the only machine available at this price that can throw computer controlled, random change-ups during the game. But that’s not all. The Zooka ZS740 is not just a pitching machine that throws consistent and reliable pitches, but it is great for throwing fly balls and hard grounders as well.
- Rechargeable battery makes it actually portable. Having no cords around the field to trip over is a huge plus.
- It includes no external moving parts and hence, is safe to use.
- Weighing around 30 pounds, it is extremely easy to carry around.
- The digital control panel makes it very easy to adjust speed and height.
- The ability to throw computer controlled random change-ups during the game makes the machine more usable for older players as well.
- It throws really HIGH fly balls, which is again good for older players.
- It has high quality, sturdy built and you can expect many years out of it.
- The machine does not throw real fastballs, as the balls have no backspin on them, which is what a naturally thrown fastball has. Some users commented that it throws curveballs and sinkers only, which are challenging to hit. One user named this problem as a design flaw. This limits its use for experienced baseball players.
- The pitches get inconsistent as the battery weakens during the game.
- There is a time lapse of 6-7 seconds between pitches, which might be frustrating for players and coaches.
- Storing the machine is hard, as it requires regular charges between uses to prevent the battery from weakening.
- The panning tripod makes the machine swivel around it and you need to re-position it again during games to prevent the balls from going out of zone.
Overall, the Zooka ZS740 is a highly recommended training tool if you want a machine that is safe, easy to use, portable, and above all, throws reliable and consistent pitches that can be as fast as 65 mph on battery power.