Welcome to Great Day For Baseball, your new home for all things related to the greatest game on earth: baseball.
My name is Jason and as a former player turned coach, I created this website with a couple of goals in mind:
- Provide insight as to what are the top choices of gear available for the current 2019 baseball season
- Provide some helpful articles on how to becomes a better player (i.e. tips)
I have tried to keep this website as simple as possible but do provide some more advanced material as well. I basically wanted to make sure that the site is useful to parent or young adults and whether or not you are just beginning your baseball journey or are a seasoned veteran.
As mentioned, part of our website is dedicated to helping you find the right gear so you can be at the top of your game. I’ll be honest, it would be impossible to attempt to try and play with every single piece of equipment that is available. That being said based on reading product descriptions and other player reviews I have a pretty darn good idea which equipment will be best for a certain term of player.
The format of our website is quite simple. We break what we feel are the top 3-5 products of each category and provide you with a review on each. This way you can make sure you are getting exactly what you want. To begin, please check out the following areas of our website:
What do our baseball equipment reviews look at?
When we review a piece of equipment, we look at the following aspects:
- Amount of Protection – The most important thing to look at with any equipment is the amount of protection it provides you. The last thing any player wants to be caught with is improperly fitted gear that provides very little protection. After all if you aren’t protected, you leave yourself vulnerable to substantial injuries.
- Durability – Another aspect to consider is how durable the equipment is. No one wants to spend hard earned money only to have their equipment wear down or become obsolete.
- Performance – With the amount of innovation that has gone on with the equipment industry, there have been substantial improvements made to performance. We break down and only look at equipment that will improve your game not hinder it.
- Price – Price is another factor that we consider when building our lists of the top equipment. We don’t want you worrying about spending a ton of money either
We try and balance all of these items to help bring you the top choices.
Types of Equipment
So what types of equipment do you need to play baseball? This largely depends on the player, but for the most part all players will need the following:
- Bat – The most common piece of equipment but often the hardest to get right. There are so many bats around so finding the right one for your swing can be a tough process. You can check out either our BBCOR bats section, or our best youth bats page to begin looking at what we feel will provide you with the most benefit.
- Glove – Depending on the position you play, the choice of glove can be a difficult one as well. Catchers mitts, and first baseman gloves for instance are made much differently than gloves for infielders and outfielders. Plus if you are a youth-level player you probably want to stick with something generic. For 2019, our best gloves provides you with the top options based on position while our youth gloves page is more focused on generic choices.
- Footwear – The type of footwear you use largely depends on your age and the type of field you play on. There are many rules that exist in some parks that don’t allow the full use of metal cleats. However, the use of regular shoes on the diamond will quickly put you at a disadvantage if you play on surfaces that allow their use. Our top choices of cleats may surprise you as we’ve mixed in a couple of regular pairs as well. You may also be interested in a couple of our other cleat guides like the benefits they provide, and how to break in your cleats.
- Uniform – In most cases this will be provided by the team you play for. However in some cases, you may need to pick up a new pair of pants should you get too many holes in them.
- Catching Gear (optional) – If you want to pursue a career as a catcher, you’ll also want to invest in some highly protective gear. By far the most dangerous position on the field, the catcher has many different things to look out for.
For more information on other equipment, please check out the following video:
We hope you enjoy your stay on our website. Should you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact us. The link to submit your comments can be found at the bottom of this page.